Meta Description and Meta Keywords Tag , is specially created for Search Engine to understand what is the page is all about.Common users is not able to see it because it is hidden inside the coding section of the webpage.
Meta tags are very important in the sense it is the only section which search engine robot take away with it and save in their database , so when a user is searching something , it retrieve that the webpage , matching the meta part and display it as snippet down the headline of the webpage or web content.
Meta tags are located inside your html’s head area.
<head>Meta tags are located here</head>
There are three important parts of Meta tags :
1. Title – The title tag is the title text that is shown in search engine listings. I know that this is not necessarily a meta tag, but it similarly functions like one.
<title>Title text here</title>
As per Google , title tag is often used together with the "description". The contents of this tag are generally shown as the title in search results
2. Description – The meta description tag area provides space to put summary about the site or web content.Search engine understand what is this and what people are going to get it from here. Good SEO specialist always seek this area to hunt their audience and make use of this section to generate sales for the website.
This is how , its html format is :
<meta name=”description” content=”This is where you put your site’s summary”/>
- One can use main keywords while creating summary for the meta description.
- This display as snippet down the headline of the search result and hence users can see this as summary. This means , the more clear is the message and to the point, there will be more chance to get more clicks on the content.
3. Keywords – The meta keywords tag is where you put all of the keywords you use in your site.
<meta name=”keywords” content=”SEO, Hacker, Google, Search, etc”/>
Google gives more priority to Meta Description tag compare to Meta Keywords tags , others are optional but it doesn't mean it should be avoided but one should give more priority to meta description tag as it is the part , that will be displaying in the search result.
Recent days , no search engine is using meta keywords while indexing the content.
Remember search engines will ignore meta tags it doesn't know. So think on this before implementing.
Sharing Video where Matt Cutts advising how much time you should spend on meta tags
Thanks for visiting my site and going through this important topic. Do share your concern with my by mailing email@example.com or do call me on +91 9742236165