SEO (Search Engine Optimization) , one of the biggest challenge is fixing Canonical Issue. Canonical is otherwise known as duplicates or clone. Its very simple in common language. Suppose you are having a fruit but you are presenting to others differently. So imagine what will happen to the fruit seller , if he/she keep calling all same fruits with different names. Soon , the business will end with zero selling and people starts hating to visit the shop.
Similarly , in SEO , canonical is very important factor for website. It can damage all your SEO strategy and hence brings down the ranking factors with pass of time.
Canonical – guides Search Engine about the website identity. If your website is able to open with different url format such as
It is said , your website is running with Canonical Issues and hence need to fix as soon as possible.
Reason to fix Canonical Issue:
- If a website opens in more than one http format, than its identity get lost
- Search Engine consider them as different websites (even though it is same) with same content , hence Google Robot becomes confuse which is the original website to index.
- Content copyright issues become serious. Hence a website starts getting killed by its own clone.
- Ranking factors get divided. Website looses its own ranking juice. Hence search ranking falls down.
What to do ?
Make sure , all above url of the same website , re-directed to same website. This way following benefits , website starts getting.
- Search Engine see all these urls as same , hence ranking values goes to original website.
- Users/Visitors coming to site feel trust on the site and hence their kind of suspicious , gets lost.
This is just the beginning of Canonical Issue , which one of my reader have asked me to share. Hope it has helped you to understand the value of Canonical Issue.
Before going to fix canonical issue, do a deep check of your website with different urls format and see if your website is going to same website or opening with different HTTP:
Let me share you some useful source links which you can use to fix by your own self or help your campaigns: